The Building Science Analytics Engineer role will primarily involve computational analytics of building façade systems, including thermal performance, solar gains, shading, condensation risk, CFD, and more. As part of our advanced analytics work, you will focus on using engineering analytical tools to support our diverse range of façade design projects across North America, including the development of new façade systems with manufacturers, optimization of project specific design strategies, and analysis of the risk associated with different approaches. This analytical work will be supplemented with broader exposure to building science projects, including participating in design and field review for building enclosure projects to diversify your skill set and provide you with versatility as your career progresses.
This specialized role requires extreme attention to detail and an appreciation for the fundamentals of building physics. We are looking for someone who is independently innovative, constantly looking for ways to improve on our analysis techniques.
- Perform computational analysis of building systems. Familiarity with computational modelling and finite element analysis highly advantageous, though knowledge of any specific software package is not required.
- Knowledge of the following software is advantageous: HEAT3, THERM, WINDOW, Flixo, SolidWorks, NX, Rhino and plugins (Grasshopper, Ladybug, etc), EnergyPlus, DesignBuilder, WUFI, etc.
- Knowledge of other similar or related building simulation software tools is advantageous, especially relating to thermal performance, solar shading, CFD, energy performance, HVAC design, and structural analysis
- Knowledge of drawing and communication tools is advantageous, including AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Data manipulation and analysis
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel including VBA coding skills an asset.
- Knowledge of programming tools such as Python and Mathcad an asset
- Participation as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new and existing building projects
- Participation in new building projects by reviewing building enclosure performance aspects during early-stage design, construction documents stage and field review, including field testing, plant reviews and other submittal reviews
- Review documentation, including architectural, structural. and mechanical drawings to determine original construction detailing and identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance requirements, and specifications.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by the project team, or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting design recommendations.
- Attend regular site meeting with owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent,and prepare site visit reports.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies.
- Undertake field testing for air tightness, water penetration performance, and material compatibility and adhesion.
- Prepare, review, and analyze site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results. Provide recommendations for deficiency items, including field sketches.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited university required. Master’s degree in Building Science or related field preferred.
- 1 to 5 years previous related work experience
- Specific courses or education in building science and/or experience with advanced finite element analysis are advantageous.
- Building construction industry experience advantageous
- Eligibility for EIT/P.Eng. registration required
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of building science principles required. More advanced knowledge beneficial.
- Basic technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles. More advanced knowledge beneficial.
- Independtly innovative, driven to develop new processes and improve existing ones
- Familiarity with drawings and specifications
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and presents in a professional manner
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent organization skills
- Good ability to communicate with clients, trades, colleagues, project managers, and management
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.