The Building Science Consultant is primarily responsible for providing building enclosure new construction field review, building condition assessment field surveys, field water and performance testing, field review and reporting, and research services to senior technical staff and project managers. Work requires frequent interpretation of data, goals, and objectives and discussion of problems with various individuals or groups to resolve problematic situations.
- Bachelor’s degree. Preference for majors in architectural, mechanical, civil or similar.
- Some previous construction or project management experience an asset but not a requirement.
- Previous construction or related roofing, waterproofing, glazing installation, or lab or field testing or inspection experience will be considered as equivalent practical experience.
Building Enclosure Consulting (New Construction or Rehabilitation)
- Attend regular site meeting with Owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress of the work.
- Review “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies within the scope of work.
- Prepare site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results.
- Make recommendations for all deficiency items, including field sketches.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance with respect to the various building science principles, and for any scheduling of work issues.
- Conduct field tests of various building enclosure assemblies, including windows, walls, and skylights; and identify problems and develop testing solutions.
- Use independent judgement during testing to identify problems and develop testing solutions.
- Work with senior technical staff create, distribute, collect, summarize, and analyze building surveys completed by building tenants/owners.
- Review architectural, structural and mechanical drawings to determine identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Assist senior technical staff with preparing written reports, fully documenting the current condition, evaluating the future risk and providing recommendations for renewals, rehabilitation, and/or maintenance.
- Conduct visual review of the building exterior and interior components, re-evaluating existing conditions and high-risk areas. Exterior review is typically conducted from ladders, swing stages, or boatswain’s chair (once proper training has been arranged).
- Create exploratory openings within the building enclosure to allow for visual review of the underlying components for evidence of decay/deterioration and to evaluate moisture contents levels of the wood or gypsum materials.
- Field water and performance testing of various building enclosure assemblies, including windows, walls, and skylights.
- Develop plans and protocols relating to strategic planning of environmental health and industrial hygiene capabilities.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Some technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and publicly present himself/herself in a professional manner.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organization skills
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply using the form below and ensure that your cover letter and resume are included as one PDF.
Alternatively, you can submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally and permanently need apply.