The Building Science Engineer (EIT) role is an entry-level position primarily responsible for assisting senior project managers with project coordination, and providing building science recommendations and consultative engineering services to clients on both new construction and existing building projects. The engineer will conduct building enclosure condition assessment field surveys, design review, field review, testing, and reporting, and make recommendations to senior technical staff and project managers.
This work will focus on assessing and determining solutions to assist our clients in ensuring excellent building enclosure and façade performance on a variety of building types.Over your first few years with RDH we will try to expose you to a variety of project work prior to helping you decide on a longer-term focus area. The work for this role will include a combination of construction site field review, and office work. This position naturally leads to Professional Engineering licensure and a Project Manager role as experience and responsibilities are increased over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, building or architectural science, or mechanical engineering from an accredited university.
- Some previous design, construction, or project management experience is an asset but not a requirement.
- Eligibility for EIT registration preferred.
- Use independent judgement in assisting senior staff in development of recommendations to clients, both in new construction, and in existing building consultation. Work independently and in group settings.
- Participation as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new construction and some existing building projects.
- Act as a liaison with clients in order to foster strong client relationships.
Construction Field Review Duties
- Attend regular site meeting with owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent, and prepare site visit reports.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies.
- Undertake field testing for air tightness, water penetration performance, and material compatibility and adhesion.
- Prepare site visit reports documenting observations and field-testing results. With support from senior staff, provide recommendations for all deficiency items, including field sketches, where required.
- Review contractor’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance with respect to the various building science principles, and for any scheduling of work issues.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by contractors or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions. Use independent judgement in the evaluation of materials, and make recommendations to senior staff for contractor alternate submittals.
Design Peer Review Duties
- Along with senior staff, participate in design meetings with owners, developers, architects, and other consultants.
- Provide design recommendations and design review of building enclosure assemblies and details. Conduct drawing, detail and specification reviews.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by the project team, or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting design recommendations.
Building Enclosure Condition Assessment
- Review architectural, structural and mechanical drawings to determine original construction detailing and identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Review any other documentation, including maintenance records, targeted repair documents, and previous reports by other consultant/professionals.
- Conduct visual review of the building exterior and interior components, re-evaluating existing conditions and high-risk areas. Exterior review is typically conducted from ladders, swing stages, etc.
- Coordinate creation of exploratory openings within the building enclosure to allow for visual review of the underlying components for evidence of decay/deterioration and to evaluate moisture contents levels of the wood or gypsum materials.
- With guidance from senior staff, conduct field tests of various building enclosure assemblies, including windows, walls, and skylights to identify problems, and develop testing solutions. Use independent judgement during testing to identify problems and develop testing solutions.
- Prepare a written report, fully documenting the current condition, evaluating the future risk and providing recommendations for renewals, rehabilitation, and/or maintenance.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Strong initiative and ability to manage time and projects independently
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and synthesize data to recognize trends and develop defensible conclusions
- Knowledge and application of engineering theory required, familiarity with typical construction documentation desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a professional public demeanor.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 200+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply using the form below and ensure that your cover letter and resume are included as one PDF.
Alternatively, you can submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally and permanently need apply.