Are you passionate about building science and looking for a career where you can help Make Buildings Better? Our Seattle Office is looking for a Building Science Engineer (EIT) to support our new buildings team with a variety of projects.
The Building Science Engineer (EIT) role will primarily involve design and field review for new building projects. Your role will include reviewing the implementation of work on site as well as assisting with the development and review of design and construction documentation. This work will focus on assessing and determining solutions to assist our clients in ensuring excellent building enclosure and façade performance on a variety of building types.
Over your first few years with RDH we will try to expose you to a variety of project work prior to helping you decide on a longer-term focus area. Another component of this role will include involvement with existing building, research, and energy efficiency projects as the need arises.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, building or architectural science, or mechanical engineering from an accredited university
- 1 to 2 years previous related experience
- Practical field experience in construction
- Eligibility for EIT registration required
- Participation as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new and some existing building projects
- Participation in new building projects by reviewing building enclosure performance aspects during early stage design, construction documents stage and field review, including field testing, plant reviews and other submittal reviews
- Review documentation, including architectural, structural. and mechanical drawings to determine original construction detailing and identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance requirements, and specifications.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by the project team, or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting design recommendations.
Site Visits and Field Duties
- Attend regular site meeting with owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent, and prepare site visit reports.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies.
- Undertake field testing for air tightness, water penetration performance, and material compatibility and adhesion.
- Prepare, review, and analyze site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results. Provide recommendations for deficiency items, including field sketches.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Basic technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles
- Knowledge of base level building science principles
- Familiarity with drawings and specifications
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and presents in a professional manner
- Intermediate Microsoft Word and Excel skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organization skills
- Good ability to communicate with clients, trades, colleagues, project managers, and management
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 200+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply using the form below and ensure that your cover letter and resume are included as one PDF.
Alternatively, you can submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally and permanently need apply.