Are you passionate about building science and looking for a role where you can help Make Buildings Better? RDH Building Science Inc. is looking for a Building Science Engineer (EIT) or Building Science Technologist to support our new buildings team with client projects in the Mid-West.
The Building Science Engineer (EIT) or Building Science Technologist will primarily be responsible for providing building enclosure design review, field testing of building enclosure assemblies, field review and reporting, and research services to senior technical staff and project managers.
This role will include reviewing the implementation of work on site as well as assisting with the development and review of design and construction documentation. This work will focus on assessing and determining solutions to assist our client in ensuring excellent building enclosure and façade performance, predominantly on mission critical data center buildings.
Please note that this is a remote position. The ideal candidate will be based near Des Moines, Iowa or Omaha, Nebraska to effectively meet job requirements. This role may be a contract term depending on project needs. Details will be finalized in the interview process.
- Participation as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new building projects.
- Participation in new building projects by reviewing building enclosure performance aspects during early stage design, construction documents stage and field review, including field testing, plant reviews and other submittal reviews.
- Review documentation, including architectural, structural, and mechanical drawings to identify areas of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance requirements, and specifications.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by the project team, or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting design recommendations.
Site Visits and Field Duties
- Attend regular site meeting with Owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress.
- Lead weekly building enclosure commissioning meetings and prepare meeting minutes.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent, and prepare site visit reports.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies.
- Coordinate and/or undertake field testing for air tightness, water penetration performance, and material compatibility and adhesion.
- Prepare, review, and analyze site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results. Provide recommendations for deficiency items, including field sketches.
- Maintain and track deficiency logs.
- Travel to various project sites across states.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, building or architectural science, or mechanical engineering from an accredited university
- 1 to 2 years previous related experience
- Practical field experience in construction
- Eligibility for EIT registration preferred
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Basic technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles
- Knowledge of base level building science principles
- Familiarity with drawings and specifications
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and presents in a professional manner
- Good ability to communicate with clients, trades, colleagues, project managers, and management
- Strong initiative and solid ability to work remotely from main office and still maintain close communication with team through various virtual communication and meeting platforms.
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally and permanently need apply.