Are you passionate about building science and looking for a career where you can help Make Buildings Better? Our Boston Office is looking for a Building Science Engineer to support a variety of projects.
The Building Science Engineer is primarily responsible for managing projects and providing building science recommendations and consultative engineering services to clients for both new construction and rehabilitation projects. Additionally, the Engineer conducts building enclosure peer reviews, condition assessment field surveys, evaluates and interprets design and field reviews, reporting, and research services, and makes recommendations to senior technical staff and project managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering, building or architectural science, or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university
- 5-10 years previous related professional experience is required
- Trained in use of building science or energy modelling software or a Master’s Degree in a related field is an added plus
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.E. license)
- Participate in design meetings and provide design recommendations and design review of building enclosure assemblies and details.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent and prepare site visit reports.
- Review documentation to determine original construction detailing and identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by contractors or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions. Use independent judgement in the evaluation of materials and make recommendations to senior staff for contractor alternate submittals.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting current conditions and evaluating future risks.
Site Visits and Field Duties
- Attend regular site meetings.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies within the scope of work.
- Prepare, review and analyze site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results and provided recommendations for all deficiency items, including field sketches.
- Conduct visual review of the building exterior and interior components, re-evaluating existing conditions and high risk areas.
- Perform water testing in accordance with ASTM and AAMA industry standards.
Tender Package Creation (Details)
- Create project detail drawings to clearly identify and layout the work.
- Consider construction schedule and trades sequencing.
- Create project specifications to identify various issues, including acceptable product materials, material delivery to site, site storage of material, quality assurance of work, installation procedures, protection of finished work, etc.
Instrumentation and Testing
- As required, develop, construct, and deploy instrumentation to monitor Relative Humidity, Temperature, Moisture Content, Rain, Driving Rain, Wind, Wind Direction, Solar Radiation, CO2, etc.
- Analyze collected data and use independent judgement along with standard methods to determine exposure conditions.
- Design and conduct experiments, and analyze and interpret data.
Litigation Support Duties
- Document of the original site conditions.
- Collect and store evidence for expert opinion reports.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles
- Knowledge and application of engineering theory
- Ability to work on multiple projects at a time
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to publicly present himself/herself in a professional manner
- Ability to draft engineering plans, compile engineering specifications, and inspect construction
- Skilled in use of building science modeling software, such as WUFI, THERM, HEAT3 or energy modeling software is an added plus
- Experience with water testing in accordance with ASTM and AAMA standards
- Ability to formulate and solve problems on projects using past experience and building science principles
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 200+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply using the form below and ensure that your cover letter and resume are included as one PDF.
Alternatively, you can submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally and permanently need apply.