Passionate about building science? Looking for a great team where you can learn from industry experts while making an impact? RDH is looking for a Building Science Engineer with industry experience who can hit the ground running as part of our Building Enclosure Engineering team, focusing on building enclosure engineering for new high performance and iconic buildings from design through construction. The precise nature of this role is flexible to match the applicant’s experience and career objectives. As an employee owned firm, RDH embraces a work as a team mentality to provide excellent service to our clients through industry leading technical expertise. Our structure provides an ideal environment to help you take your career to the next level. Come join the team!
The Building Science Engineer’s primary duties will include technical leadership on various project types under the guidance of RDH’s Principals, primarily focused on new construction consulting, but also potentially including research, product development, energy, and sustainability consulting components depending on the applicant’s skills and interests. The Building Science Engineer will be responsible for interacting directly with clients, with overall responsibility for projects from inception to completion.
- Participate as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new building projects, as well as potentially research, product development, and energy & sustainability projects depending on applicant’s expertise and interest
- Lead RDH’s efforts in design meetings with owners, developers, architects, and other consultants. Provide design recommendations and design review of building enclosure assemblies and details. Conduct drawing, detail and specification reviews.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent and prepare site visit reports. Provide oversight of EIT’s and technologists performing field review. Review site visit reports for consistency and technical accuracy.
- Review site visit reports documenting observations and field-testing results. Supervise follow up on action items and prescribe action for critical deficiency items.
- Review manufacture’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance with respect to various building science principles, and constructability issues.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently including coordinating internal team, developing client relationships, and achieving business performance objectives
- Manage RDH clients, and participate in developing new business and expanding RDH’s current client base through various business and service development efforts
- Potential to take on additional responsibility to manage, train, and mentor other RDH staff on projects and through our Learning and Development program
- Bachelor of Engineering or Applied Science with additional training in Building Science.
- Master of Engineering or Applied Science an asset
- PEng or PE, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Intermediate (or better) technical knowledge of building science, building enclosure design, energy efficiency, and building enclosure construction principles, with specialist knowledge in an area of focus an asset
- Strong project management and team building skills demonstrated through past success
- Significant client facing experience particularly with developers, architects, manufacturers, building owners, and other project team members
- Superior ability to shift focus between changing priorities and effectively contribute to multiple projects
- Experience with building science related research, product development, energy, and sustainability projects an asset
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent attention to detail
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.