Do you have a passion for Making Buildings Better? If so, we want to hear from you!
RDH is an employee-owned, mid-sized building science consulting firm with 300 employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs) and help our clients achieve their sustainability goals. Since our beginnings in 1997, we have led the industry with unsurpassed technical knowledge and excellence. We continue to grow and fulfill our mission of Making Buildings Better.
Our areas of work include collaborating with design teams for new building construction projects, forensic investigation and renewal of existing buildings, building asset management to assist building owners with the long-term upkeep and efficient use of their facilities, and building science research to identify ways of improving building stock.
We offer a positive workplace with incredible teams, opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
We hire enthusiastic engineering students who have basic training in building science engineering (building science, civil engineering, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, or architecture) along with exposure to hands-on experience in construction. We value innovative thinking, a passion for the field, and a strong sense of teamwork.
This is unique opportunity for architecture students. You will gain hands-on site visit experience with engineers and architects! If you’re curious about the nuts and bolts of the building enclosure as it relates to architecture, we invite you to apply.
Applications are open for our Fall 2023 work terms. Please specify your desired work term dates in your application.
As an architecture co-op student at RDH, you will work directly with senior staff on a variety of projects. Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Assist with field review of building enclosure components for new construction and renewal projects.
- Assist with on-site performance testing of building enclosure assemblies, including air leakage and window water testing.
- Investigation of existing buildings, including visual review of as built conditions, documenting conditions via field notes, sketches, and photos, and providing recommendations for repair, renewal or rehabilitation.
- Assist with the development of presentation drawings.
- Assist with preparation of graphic design and construction elements for reports and technical documents.
- Assist with streamlining the architectural design process from conceptual design to over all completion of projects.
- Additional drafting, design, and graphic design tasks or projects in support of other service areas.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING:
During your work term, you will be mentored by a variety of staff from senior to junior, many of whom are industry leaders in building science engineering, architecture, and project management.
We strive to develop students to become leading engineers in the building science space. We offer regular in-house continuing education seminars on a variety of technical topics, such as through our Building Science Live webinar series and regional Lunch and Learns. You may also attend external professional development events. By the end of the work term, we expect you will:
- Develop skills in building enclosure investigation, field review and design.
- Develop engineering problem solving skills related to building science.
- Learn how to perform field quality assurance that conforms to ASTM standards, including water testing of windows.
- Learn to assess water ingress and other building performance related problems.
- Learn about construction material performance characteristics using various software programs and confirmation in the field.
TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING:
RDH will assist students with travel expenses and can provide information on housing options. Through our green transportation policy, we assist all employees with public transportation expenses.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those legally authorized to work in Canada need apply.