Do you have a passion for Making Buildings Better? If so, we want to hear from you!
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects. We approach projects with a multi-faceted and distinctly advanced understanding of building enclosures. We are grounded by our core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Our areas of work include collaborating with design teams for new building construction projects, forensic investigation and renewal of existing buildings, building asset management to assist building owners with the long-term upkeep and efficient use of their facilities, and building science research to identify ways of improving building stock.
We hire enthusiastic engineering students who have basic training in building science engineering (building science, civil engineering, structural engineering, mechanical engineering, or architecture) along with exposure to hands-on experience in construction. We value innovative thinking, a passion for the field, and a strong sense of teamwork.
Co-op work terms starting in September 2022 are available for our Vancouver.
As an engineering co-op student at RDH, you will work directly with senior staff on a variety of projects. Tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Field review of building enclosure components for new construction and renewal projects.
- On-site performance testing of building enclosure assemblies, including air leakage and window water testing.
- Investigation of existing buildings, including visual review of as built conditions, documenting conditions via field notes, sketches, and photos, and providing recommendations for repair, renewal or rehabilitation.
- Design and implementation of building asset management programs.
- Research and testing in our in-house lab for new technologies and strategies for reducing energy consumption, optimizing resources, and improving durability of buildings.
- Perform energy modelling and benchmarking of existing buildings and new building design to evaluate energy performance and recommend potential energy conservation measures with software such as DesignBuilder, HOT3000 and eQUEST.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING:
During your work term, you will be mentored by a variety of staff from senior to junior, many of whom are industry leaders in building science engineering, architecture, and project management.
We strive to develop students to become leading engineers in the building science space. We offer regular in-house continuing education seminars on a variety of technical topics, such as through our Building Science Live webinar series and regional Lunch and Learns. You may also attend external professional development events. By the end of the work term, we expect you will:
- Develop skills in building enclosure investigation, field review and design.
- Develop engineering problem solving skills related to building science.
- Learn how to perform field quality assurance that conforms to ASTM standards, including water testing of windows.
- Learn to assess water ingress and other building performance related problems.
- Learn about construction material performance characteristics using various software programs and confirmation in the field.
TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING:
RDH will assist students with travel expenses and can provide information on housing options. Through our green transportation policy, we assist all employees with public transportation expenses.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those legally authorized to work in the Canada need apply.