The Junior Estimator will primarily complete quantity take-offs and conceptual estimating, and provide support with budgets and cost analyses. This role will analyze project plans and specifications to determine the overall estimated cost of a project in the pre-construction phase. This role will also assist the project team with coordination of budgeting and costing during all phases of existing building rehabilitation projects; in addition to Contract Administration duties as required.
- Assist in presenting cost estimates to meet client design expectations, providing consideration for general and special conditions
- Assist with the preparation of full cost estimates on general tender work
- Assist in reviewing and analyzing contractor quotes for best value
- Compile tender results and prepare summaries
- Prepare quantity take-offs and cost estimates in a systematic approach, input into detailed cost summary sheets
- Develop budgets and cash flows for clients
- Analyze quotations for proposed change orders
- Visit building sites to verify existing conditions
- Review specifications and drawings to understand the scope of work and required content of estimate
- Prepare estimates by trade contractors’ scope of work
- Prepare detailed accurate material, labour, equipment, subcontracts, etc. estimates
- Foster relationships with contractors and suppliers
- Maintain an accurate and current database of cost codes for historical data
- Complete general Contract Administration duties as required, including Certificates for Payment, Change Orders and CCDC-2 Contract work
- Degree or diploma in construction management, estimating or engineering or other related discipline
- 2-3 years of related experience in cost estimating
- Experience working with spreadsheets, databases, estimating packages, take-off packages, and scheduling packages
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Good knowledge of construction materials and methods used in building applications
- Familiarity with specifications and drawings
- Intermediate skills in software such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Bluebeam Revu
- Basic understanding of construction schedules
- Experience in working with spreadsheets, databases, estimating packages, take-off packages and scheduling packages
- Strong interpersonal skills allowing you to build rapport with engineers, architects, and other key members of the project team
- Detail orientated with an analytical mindset
- Self motivated and possesses a positive can-do attitude
- Able to work independently and manage priorities while meeting deadlines
- Shows initiative, takes pride in work; great attention to detail
- Exceptional time-management and organizational/prioritizing skills
- Strong work ethic with ability to multi-task, work with frequent interruptions, and be flexible to take on varied responsibilities
- Ability to handle stressful situations while maintaining composure
- Good judgement to proactively and independently solve problems
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.