RDH is seeking a Mechanical Project Engineer to complement our technical strengths in building science. This unique and exciting opportunity is an ideal role for someone with a background in mechanical design who is looking to join an innovative and growing team tackling the big challenges of climate change by Making Buildings Better.
Retrofitting existing buildings is critical to address climate change, and we believe that by integrating building enclosure with mechanical expertise we can deliver exceptional results that maximize value to our clients while also benefiting the planet. As a Mechanical Project Engineer you will contribute to RDH project teams to deliver integrated engineering services across a range of projects primarily for existing buildings. You may also provide specialist input for new building projects, and contribute to research, energy performance, and sustainability project work.
The scope of responsibilities will balance the skills and desire of individuals with the needs of the business but include some combination of the following:
- Complete site visits for mechanical system assessments, warranty reviews, forensic investigations, cooling assessments, and energy/carbon reduction assessments.
- Work with RDH team members and partners to design and support the implementation of mechanical retrofit solutions including heating, cooling, ventilation, and plumbing & drainage retrofits.
- Coordinate mechanical requirements with internal RDH project teams and sub-consultants.
- Write reports; prepare and deliver presentations.
- Participate in and lead project meetings with owners, Stratas, and other consultants.
- Use independent judgement in assisting project teams in developing recommendations to clients.
- Provide specialist input to various projects across RDH practice areas and regions, including new construction, sustainability, policy and program, research, training, and guideline/publications projects.
- Provide training and review of work by junior staff.
- Support business development activities including client education, training programs and proposal preparation.
- Network within the building community, including authoring papers and speaking engagements at various industry events and seminars.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or appropriate alternate
- 5-10 years experience in design of HVAC and plumbing systems
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with EGBC
- Experience with existing buildings is an asset
- Understanding of local building codes and municipal permitting processes is an asset
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Advanced technical knowledge of mechanical design principles, including local building codes
- HVAC and plumbing & drainage design experience
- Excellent ability to communicate technical information to clients, trades, employees, and project managers while instilling confidence
- Analytical problem-solving skills and strong investigative aptitude, including ability to troubleshoot and diagnose performance issues
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with clients, staff, and consultants
- Team player who fosters teamwork and cooperation
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic, eager to assume responsibility and do what it takes to have successful project outcomes for RDH and our clients
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong desire to learn
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada and US legally and permanently need apply.