As a Passive House Project Manager, you will be responsible for managing and executing projects, and providing energy and sustainability recommendations and consultative engineering services to clients. In this role, you will be involved in both PHIUS and PHI residential, commercial and institutional projects. Past experience with large buildings certifying under one of these programs is required, and we expect a willingness to get involved and learn about both programs.
We are looking for motivated, organized and dedicated individuals committed to the RDH principles of Work as a Team, Do What it Takes and Always Learn. Ideal candidates are well versed in Passive House design, construction support and certification, and have demonstrated Project Management skills. As an industry leader, RDH is devoted to leading the charge in climate change mitigation and adaption through our work, and we hope to find individuals as passionate as we are in creating change.
This position reports to the Senior Passive House consultant in our Toronto office. Project work will be primarily in Ontario and the U.S. Northeast region.
- Participation as part of the RDH project team for design charrettes and early-stage building design services (strategic advice for the integration of building enclosure, heating/cooling, ventilation, DHW and plug load systems towards set energy and carbon performance targets)
- Provide enclosure performance and HVAC design recommendations for improving energy performance to design team, with input from relevant RDH experts in these topics
- Whole-building energy modelling (including interpret results, prepare reports documenting analysis and results) in PHPP and/or WUFI-Passive, including the review of work by junior RDH team members
- Thermal bridging modelling (including interpret results, prepare reports documenting analysis and results) in THERM, Flixo or other similar software, including the review of work by junior RDH team members
- Lead, support and review of energy benchmarking, carbon accounting and life cycle analysis, life cycle cost analysis, and sustainability-related work, including the review of work by more junior RDH team members
- Conduct site visits to provide documentation for Passive House quality assurance and documentation
- Review project budgets an manage work accordingly
- Develop fee proposals and project budgets responding to the scope of work provided by clients
- Provide technical energy efficiency guidance to junior staff and fellow RDH staff
- Participate in RDH building science research and analysis projects
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Applied Science or Engineering preferred, however we recognize that not all Passive House experience is obtained through the engineering education and professional designation pathways
- P.Eng. preferred
- Additional courses related to building science, sustainability, and energy efficiency are an asset
- Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant (CPHD/C) under either system is required
- Certified Verifier/Rater under PHIUS or additional CPHD seals (Verifier, PHPP Expert, Component Assessor, Trainer) under PHI is an asset
- 5+ years previous related experience with knowledge of whole-building energy modeling software in either Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) or WUFI-Passive
- 5+ years of reviewing design details for compliance with Passive House standard
- 5+ years of project experience with direct interaction with design teams in a collaborative environment to achieve carbon and energy reduction goal for building projects
- 5+ years of projects involving site visits for the purpose of quality assurance and documentation to design requirements of Passive House
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Strong knowledge of Passive House (PHI or PHIUS) required
- Experience with energy modelling software WUFI Passive and/or PHPP.
- Knowledge of 2D-thermal simulation software including THERM, WINDOW, Flixo or similar software
- Excellent understanding of heat transfer and thermodynamics fundamentals
- Strong interest in energy efficiency and sustainable building design
- Strong knowledge of green building and energy efficient building principles
- Understanding of mechanical systems and renewable energy systems
- Analytical problem-solving skill and strong investigative aptitude, including ability to troubleshoot energy models
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with clients, staff and consultants
- Knowledge of 3D-thermal simulation software such as HEAT3 is an asset
- Experience with energy modelling software HOT2000, HERs, eQuest, OpenStudio, EnergyPlus or DesignBuilder also considered an asset
- Understanding of construction practices and appreciation for building materials and how building enclosures are constructed an asset
- Knowledge of codes and carbon reduction standards such as NECB, ASHRAE, OBC, TGS, CaGBC ZCB is an asset.
- Advanced Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel skills
- Execute a scope of work within the defined budget.
- Excellent ability to estimate required time to complete tasks and work with independently and with junior RDH staff to complete work within those estimates.
- Excellent ability to communicate with clients, trades, employees, project managers, and management both verbally and in written format
- Work with clients to get scope of work changes approved.
- Some management of staff to complete tasks on time and within budget.
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.