RDH is a beacon for building science leadership, focused on delivering scalable climate-resilient solutions for clients and future generations.
RDH Building Science is seeking a Principal, Building Science Specialist to join our Canada East leadership team. This role will leverage and grow our building science consulting teams based in Toronto and Waterloo. In our Canada East region, we aim to deliver high quality services that provide high value to our clients. This means a particular focus on high performance new and existing buildings, heritage buildings, unique investigations, and other innovative and complex work. We are seeking to grow our team with a Principal who shares our interest in differentiating ourselves through innovation and quality.
For new buildings we focus on high performance projects, specifically projects with low carbon (both operational and embodied carbon), energy efficient, and sustainable design goals. Our current project portfolio includes buildings with high performance objectives, including Net Zero Energy, Net Zero Carbon, mass timber, and Passive House, across all building types. We also see an opportunity to deliver Façade Engineering services for projects with innovative design goals. We seek to continue to grow our new building consulting services with a focus on projects where we can provide high value to our clients.
For existing buildings we see deep retrofits as a significant opportunity for us in addressing climate change. Government mandates and market forces will drive this emerging practice area. Our team is developing Deep Retrofit plans or Zero Carbon Over Time plans for various owner groups. We are also contributing to deep retrofit implementation both as a sub-consultant to architecture teams and as the lead consultant, taking on full design responsibility from schematic design through to preparation of construction documents for building enclosure elements. RDH is well positioned to take advantage of this opportunity, having led much of the policy development associated with deep retrofits as well as our historic leadership in the rehabilitation and renewal of building enclosures for all building types. We have good relationships with key client groups and we anticipate significant growth in this area of our business.
For all buildings we continue to undertake work developing products, creating policy, and providing training and publications to lead the industry. This work feeds directly into our work with new and existing buildings and differentiates us from others.
The Building Science Specialist is a technical leader within RDH and will involve the application of building science fundamentals to a wide range of buildings. You will focus on leading building enclosure consulting work and will be involved in the investigation of building enclosure performance problems. You will work with others to further develop and grow our building enclosure consulting and façade engineering services in Ontario.
The position will include the development and maintenance of client relationships, identifying and responding to project opportunities and RFPs, developing and delivering building science service offerings, and the development of staff to support our services.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Engineering, Applied Science, or Architecture
- 15+ years of experience in building science and engineering, with knowledge of architecture and construction with a focus on building enclosure
- Field experience addressing site conditions and managing construction process and contract issues
- Demonstrated business development experience
- Successful relationship building experience particularly with developers, architects, building owners and other project team members
- Proven success leading projects involving large and small buildings
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent technical knowledge of building science, building enclosure design, and construction processes
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with clients, staff, and consultants
- Ability to gather and diagnose information, interpret data and drawings, and assess conditions for multiple components
- Analytical problem solving skills and strong investigative aptitude, including ability to troubleshoot and diagnose building performance issues
- Proven team player who fosters teamwork and cooperation
- Fast learner with the ability to develop technical and interpersonal skills
- Excellent ability to communicate complex technical information to staff, clients, and trades
- Excellent ability to shift focus between changing priorities
- Solid project management skills and the ability to manage performance of others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation skills
- Strong work ethic, eager to assume responsibility quickly
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong desire and potential to be a leader in the industry
RDH is an amazing place to work. A role with RDH is a career commitment to learn and grow alongside inspiring and dedicated people who care deeply about making buildings better.
We are an employee-owned consulting firm with 300 employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive workplace with incredible teams, opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Our collaborative teams fuel our mission of Making Buildings Better. We seek balanced representation in our teams, and to achieve a welcoming and inclusive community for all people who share a passion for our values and mission. We believe diverse thought, ideas, and voices make us great – people of different identities, races, ethnicities, genders, ages, orientations, religions, abilities, education, cultures, and skills. We are committed to equity through building teams based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally need apply.