We are seeking an intermediate or senior architect to work on projects in both our existing buildings and new building consulting practice areas. The position will primarily consist of leading project teams in the renewal and upgrade of existing buildings with a focus on building enclosure and whole building energy efficiency related improvements. In addition to managing projects, the role will include supporting business development activities, providing leadership and mentoring junior staff, and providing architectural support to other project teams.
- Lead projects in a project manager role, responsible for all aspects of project performance.
- Develop and manage relationships with new and existing clients.
- Participate in business development activities, marketing and proposal preparation.
- Assess and identify how our services in the existing buildings sector could be improved, and better integrated with our other services including Project and Construction Management, Building Asset Management, and Forensics & Research services.
- Contribute architectural, building code, and project management expertise to project teams as required.
- Develop an understanding of and expertise in building science and building enclosure design and construction.
- Write reports; prepare and deliver presentations.
- Supervise and mentor staff on projects.
- Participate in strategic planning sessions.
- Assist with development and delivery of in-house and client education and training programs.
- Assist senior operations staff with issues related to professional regulatory compliance.
- Participate as a member of select industry committees on an as needed basis.
There may be a need to visit and work in conjunction with RDH’s other offices from time to time, as well as travel to other geographic locations to fulfill this role. We also anticipate a need to attend some after-hours client meetings and/or business events. There may also be an opportunity to contribute to the growth of one of our newer offices.
- Professional degree in architecture (M. Arch. or equivalent)
- 5 to 10 years industry experience
- Architect AIBC
- Professional registration in other jurisdictions and LEED AP accreditation is an asset
- Understanding of residential, commercial and institutional building clients, particularly with respect to their needs and objectives and how RDH may be able to assist them in meeting their goals
- Knowledge of building enclosure services; familiar with practices and procedures as described in the Canadian Handbook of Practice for Architects.
- Understanding of local building codes and municipal permitting processes.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Interest and commitment to increasing knowledge and skills within the building science field, particularly with respect to improving energy efficiency, carbon reduction, and optimizing life cycle costs in conjunction with providing more traditional building enclosure services.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to clients, employees, and other industry stakeholders via written reports and presentations.
- Strong analytical, organizational, project management, and process improvement skills
- Effectively manage time
- High level of attention to detail
- Demonstrate flexibility to cope effectively with change and managing priorities in a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships to foster teamwork and meet mutual goals/deliverables.
- Ability to lead, mentor, and teach staff of all career levels in order to enrich and further develop our knowledge base.
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.