This opportunity is well suited for an engineer or architect with experience in design of building enclosures utilizing aluminum, glass and cold formed steel in addition to the traditional concrete, steel and timber structural elements. The primary responsibility of this role will be focused on consulting with our clients to develop design criteria, system designs, details, systems, and specifications related to building enclosure or façade elements for new (ground up) and existing high-performance building projects.
This role will also involve the application and coordination of building science fundamentals and knowledge of building enclosure best practices during design and construction phases. Specifically, this includes application of specialized knowledge with respect to the design, fabrication, quality control, and manufacturing standards related to glazed aluminum curtain wall and other panelized or unitized enclosure systems.
- Manage RDH project teams to ensure production of deliverables to agreed timelines and within budget.
- Establish and maintain client communications to coordinate project needs, tasks, and deliverables.
- Participate and actively contribute to design workshops, where cladding solutions and glass and material selection are explored and determined. Workshops will be with architects, fellow professionals, and the cladding industry.
- Develop cladding solutions through free hand sketching, 2d and 3D CAD modelling. Such drawings and visualizations are often included in our tender information packages.
- Advise on glass selection and other typical cladding materials, develop decision tools such as matrixes.
- Produce specifications and reports and coordination of others’ work.
- Review and comment on façade fabrication and trade submittals.
- Develop and witness performance testing programs and prepare associated technical reports.
- Carry out factory visits, site inspections and prepare associated technical reports.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of other team members and coordinate work with building professionals of other disciplines.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to junior members of the team
- While the job description is quite specific to façade engineering consulting, all employees recognize that day-to-day work will fluctuate and as such, we expect that transferable skillsets will be utilized to support the needs of office and the company as required due to the nature of the work available, both internally, and within the marketplace
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering, Masters strongly preferred
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Cladding and façade system detailing experience.
- AutoCAD, Revit, RHINO, Grasshopper, Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop experience highly desirable
- Experience with 3d computer modeling packages/2-D CAD is desired, but not essential.
- US Cladding industry experience is desirable, but not essential.
- Project management experience in consulting engineering context.
- Familiarity with domestic (and international) façade design, fabrication, procurement, and construction trends and developments. Be aware of façade industry fabrication constraints and constructability issues.
- Proficient in key façade performance aspects (structural, thermal, solar, acoustic, geometry), deep knowledge in at least one of them.
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build rapport, be approachable and accessible, and to effectively influence in person and in virtual settings.
- Highly organized, high attention to quality, detail and accuracy, combined with managing multiple high priority tasks.
RDH is an amazing place to work. A role with RDH is a career commitment to learn and grow alongside inspiring and dedicated people who care deeply about Making Buildings Better.
We are an employee-owned consulting firm with 300 employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of buildings. Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive workplace with incredible teams, opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Our collaborative teams fuel our mission of Making Buildings Better. We seek balanced representation in our teams, and to achieve a welcoming and inclusive community for all people who share a passion for our values and mission. We believe diverse thought, ideas, and voices make us great – people of different identities, races, ethnicities, genders, ages, orientations, religions, abilities, education, cultures, and skills. We are committed to equity through building teams based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply using the form below and ensure that your cover letter and resume are included as one PDF.
Alternatively, you can submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in the USA legally need apply.