The Building Science Project Manager role requires technical knowledge in building science, building envelope design, and building enclosure construction principles. This role focuses on the delivery of building enclosure projects, including investigations, design, construction document preparation, and field review.
This role will include being the day-to-day client contact for projects from investigation, design phase, through construction documents, tendering, submittal review, and quality assurance reviews on site. This work will focus on assessing and determining solutions to assist our clients in ensuring excellent building enclosure performance on a variety of building types, with opportunities available to work on existing and/or new buildings.
This role will include review of construction site field review and documentation prepared by junior staff, as well as mentoring and training of junior staff, particularly on field review, testing and documentation tasks. Project management responsibilities will include financial performance, technical quality, project scheduling, and client satisfaction.
- Participation as part of the RDH team from concept design to the implementation stages of new and/or existing building projects
- Ensure delivery of services and products to meet RDH quality standards
- Supervise staff on projects; provide mentorship to junior staff and support their career development plans.
Building Enclosure Consulting
- Participate in and as-needed lead project meetings with owners, developers, architects, Stratas, building owners and other consultants.
- Attend regular site meeting with Owners, architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress of the work
- Review “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies within the scope of work. Use independent judgement on site and make recommendations for modifications to design.
- Prepare site visit reports documenting observations and field-testing results. Provide recommendations for all deficiency items, including field sketches, where required.
- Review contractor’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance with respect to the various building science principles, and for any scheduling of work issues.
- Review and comment on Requests for Information, Site Instructions and/or Proposed Change Orders associated with building enclosure elements
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by contractors or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions. Use independent judgement in the evaluation of materials, and make recommendations to senior staff for contractor alternate submittals.
- Use independent judgement in assisting senior staff in development of recommendations to clients, both in new construction, and in existing build consultation. Work independently and in group settings.
- Act as a liaison with clients in order to foster strong client relationships.
- Manage building enclosure consulting projects, including responsibility for financial performance, technical quality, staff resourcing, scheduling, and client satisfaction.
- Participate in business development activities
- Bachelors of Engineering, Applied Science or Architecture required. Masters degree an asset
- 5+ years of experience in building science consulting
- 2+ years of project management experience
- Significant field experience addressing site conditions and working with construction process
- P.Eng. registered with EGBC or Architect registered with AIBC preferred
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
The base salary range for this position is $90,000 – $110,000 annualized for a full-time role. Salary is dependent various factors, including qualifications, skills, competencies, experience, and location. You may also be eligible for discretionary incentives and share ownership.
We offer a robust benefits package to support the well-being of our employees. This includes: GRSP contributions, Health and Dental coverage, Primary Caregiver benefits, Vacation and Sick Time, Statutory Holiday substitutions, and a learning fund of $1,000 per year for education or career goals.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Intermediate technical knowledge of building enclosure design and construction principles, including local building codes
- Excellent ability to communicate technical information to clients, trades, employees, and project managers while instilling confidence
- Analytical problem-solving skills and strong investigative aptitude, including ability to troubleshoot and diagnose building performance issues
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with clients, staff, and consultants
- Ability to gather and diagnose information, interpret data and drawings and assess conditions of multiple components
- Proven team player who fosters teamwork and cooperation
- Excellent ability to shift focus between changing priorities
- Very good project management skills and the ability to work with others to achieve excellence
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic, eager to assume responsibility and do what it takes to have successful project outcomes for RDH and our clients
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong desire to learn.
RDH is an amazing place to work. A role with RDH is a career commitment to learn and grow alongside inspiring and dedicated people who care deeply about Making Buildings Better.
We are an employee-owned consulting firm with 300 employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of buildings. Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive workplace with incredible teams, opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Our collaborative teams fuel our mission of Making Buildings Better. We seek balanced representation in our teams, and to achieve a welcoming and inclusive community for all people who share a passion for our values and mission. We believe diverse thought, ideas, and voices make us great – people of different identities, races, ethnicities, genders, ages, orientations, religions, abilities, education, cultures, and skills. We are committed to equity through building teams based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally need apply.