The Structural Engineer is a key position (within our Existing Buildings Service Area) based out of our Burnaby office. The role is well suited for someone with structural design experience who is also interested in building enclosure design. The role requires a goal-oriented individual who can work independently with little supervision and has the ability to focus and complete multiple tasks within specified time limits. Structural design of secondary components will be an essential part of your structural design responsibilities. Understanding of primary building structural design is a preferred background.
- Structural analysis of building structural components
- Structural evaluation of existing buildings for support of secondary structures
- Structural investigations and structural warranty reviews
- Preconstruction surveys
- Field investigation and assembly testing
- Preparation of construction documents and drawings and specifications
- Review of material submittals and shop drawings
- Construction review to ensure conformance with contract documents.
- Preparation of design calculations
- Perform structural reviews of work done by other engineers at RDH
- Attend site meetings where required
- Meet with strata owner groups at various times
- Present at strata owner meetings
- Provide technical support to clients and direct project teams (consultants and contractors)
- Make contributions to company knowledge management and practice systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Applied Science with a structural concentration
- Minimum 3 years work experience as a structural engineer
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)/(EIT) or eligible for registration with EGBC
- Experience in primary building structural design (wood frame, concrete, steel, masonry). Experience in light gauge steel stud framing is desirable
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Well grounded in structural modelling, analysis and design
- Technical knowledge in building science a definite asset
- Ability to develop and review designs, drawings, specification, and technical memoranda
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities and balance day to day project work (with immediate deadlines) with long term research projects (longer term deadlines)
- Demonstrate a commitment to client service
- Attention to detail and accuracy are required
- Highly motivated individual who works independently, is team oriented and can provide leadership
- Able to conceptualize structural and architectural details in three dimensions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically, Word and Excel
RDH is an amazing place to work. A role with RDH is a career commitment to learn and grow alongside inspiring and dedicated people who care deeply about Making Buildings Better.
We are an employee-owned consulting firm with 300 employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of buildings. Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive workplace with incredible teams, opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Our collaborative teams fuel our mission of Making Buildings Better. We seek balanced representation in our teams, and to achieve a welcoming and inclusive community for all people who share a passion for our values and mission. We believe diverse thought, ideas, and voices make us great – people of different identities, races, ethnicities, genders, ages, orientations, religions, abilities, education, cultures, and skills. We are committed to equity through building teams based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally need apply.