The Structural Engineer is a key position (within our Existing Buildings Service Area) based out of our Burnaby office. The role is well suited for someone with structural design experience who is looking to expand into building enclosure design. The role requires a goal-oriented individual who is able to work independently with little supervision and has the ability to focus and complete multiple tasks within specified time limits. Structural design of secondary components will be an essential part of your structural design responsibilities. Understanding of primary building structural design is a preferred background.
- Structural analysis of building envelope systems and structural components
- Structural evaluation of existing buildings for support of secondary structures
- Structural investigations and structural warranty reviews
- Preconstruction surveys
- Field investigation and assembly testing
- Preparation of construction documents and drawings and specifications
- Review of material submittals and shop drawings
- Construction review to ensure conformance with contract documents.
- Preparation of design calculations
- Perform structural reviews of work done by other engineers at RDH
- Attend site meetings where required
- Meet with strata owner groups at various times
- Present at strata owner meetings
- Lead investigations, condition assessments, and field reviews to determine design and repair options
- Conduct envelope commissioning activities
- Prepare construction-related drawings, specifications and reports
- Provide technical advice to clients and direct project teams (consultants and contractors)
- Manage contract administration and quality control reviews for restoration projects
- Review design drawings and specifications and construction related submittals based on building science fundamentals and project performance criteria
- Evaluate contractor performance to ensure project deliverables and quality standards are achieved
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status, site issues, and project quality and resolve issues as required
- Make contributions to company knowledge management and practice systems
- Contribute to the firm’s reputation in the market and maintain client base
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Applied Science with a structural concentration
- Minimum 5 years work experience as a structural engineer
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or eligible for registration with EGBC
- Experience in primary building structural design (wood frame, concrete, steel, masonry). Experience in light gauge steel stud framing is desirable
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Well grounded in structural modelling, analysis and design
- Able to instruct and lead others in structural design aspects is a core requirement
- Technical knowledge in building science a definite asset
- Ability to develop and review designs, drawings, specification, and technical memoranda
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments
- Good ability to shift focus between changing priorities and balance day to day project work (with immediate deadlines) with long term research projects (longer term deadlines)
- Demonstrate a commitment to client service
- Attention to detail and accuracy are required
- Highly motivated individual who works independently, is team oriented and can provide leadership
- Able to conceptualize structural and architectural details in three dimensions
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, specifically, Word and Excel
RDH is an employee-owned consulting firm with 250+ employees in nine offices across North America. Our core area of business is the integration of building science engineering, architecture, and construction management to optimize the performance of the building enclosure (walls, windows and roofs). Since our beginnings in 1997, we have become industry leaders in North America and continue to grow as we focus on technical excellence and delivering high-quality projects.
We offer a positive, team-oriented workplace with opportunities for professional growth, development and ownership. As well as your background, we seek alignment with RDH’s core values: 1) commit to excellence, 2) act with integrity, 3) work as a team 4) do what it takes, and 5) always learn.
Additional information on our expertise, projects, and culture can be found at www.rdh.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com with the job title and location in the subject line.
No phone calls please. While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please note that only those already entitled to work in Canada legally and permanently need apply.