This guide will assist designers, developers, builders, renovators, and owners gain a better understanding of heat recovery ventilators (HRVs) and energy recovery ventilators (ERVs) and how they can support healthy indoor living environments in single family, semi‐detached, and row housing, including:
- Why ventilating houses is important;
- Existing residential ventilation system code requirements;
- How HRVs and ERVs work;
- The importance of early planning to facilitate HRV/ERV installation and to ensure efficient and effective operation;
- System design considerations for both new houses and existing house retrofits; and
- Important balancing, commissioning, maintenance and operation considerations.
Prepared by RDH for BC Housing.